Monday, April 13, 2009

Smoking Hot

A recent question was submitted on an auto repair website about how to troubleshoot car exhaust smoke.

The reader asked, “My car frequently smokes from the tailpipe; does this mean I need an engine overhaul?”

I don’t know about you, but whenever I see smoke, it usually isn’t a good sign, (unless I’m roasting marshmallows over a bonfire.)

Let’s think about this for a minute. Just imagine heading out to the car lot with your teen to shop for the perfect car. Your teen finds one that in her words is “smokin’ hot” and asks to take it for a test drive. With keys in hand, she hops in and turns on the ignition. She revs the engine a bit and billows of smoke engulf the car. What is her first reaction? Impressed? Deep down in her gut does she have the feeling that maybe there is something wrong here? (Ok, maybe you will know just by the hacking, choking sensation, but does your teen?)

Just the fact that a reader had to ask the question indicates that for the most part, smoke is not a healthy sign – for a car or a date. I agree that it doesn’t necessarily mean a complete overhaul is needed but no question, there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Call me crazy, but I would bet that most dealerships trying to “sell” a vehicle would make sure that before the car goes out onto the lot, it is smoke-free. Something tells me it would be a much harder sell when the driver has to hold his nose with one hand and frantically wave the smoke away with the other. Not a good first impression…or second for that matter.

Thoughts?
Lisa j

No comments: